The other night we went for drinks with friends, and ended up in a bar to keep out of the cold. I ordered a Laško and sat back in my chair to enjoy my drink. Minutes later, my face became red and swollen, which was immediately noticed by everyone. I had to reassure them I wasn't going to fall unconscious or anything.
Great, I thought, my bloody English-Scottish genes are really kicking in. I'm a red-faced drunk. Wonderful.
Anyway, we later walked home and my face returned to normal. I also drank Union that night, and I racked my brain trying to figure out if it was Union or Laško that caused my reaction. When I got home I cracked open another Laško to experiment. I got halfway through the can and my face became puffy and red once again.
This is kind of unsettling. Am I allergic to Laško, or Union, or both? Or maybe I'm developing an allergy to beer? Or alcohol? That could pretty much end my life right there. I mean, I'm still cutting out cigarettes, but now I can't drink? Can't a man have any vices?
Of course, it could have been an off night for me, and by New Year's Eve I'll be back in shape.